One lesson I learned in the past 24 hours is how much a kidney infection can suck. I was also reminded of how wonderful my boyfriend is, and how great it is to have an S.O. who is a physician and will call in an order for antibiotics and pain killers at 4:30 a.m.
Edit: I also learned how a simple blog post can take almost 24 hours to complete, since I keep having to lie down and take a nap. I never realized just how much an infection can wear you out!
Anywho, now that I am hopped up on Vicodin, I am scrapping all of my original plans for today’s post (editing photos sounds way too hard right now!). Fortunately for me, in my inbox today was a Liebster nomination from the lovely Julia at A Dose Full of Jules. I am so honored by her nomination of my little blog. I think this is a great way to get to know more about fellow bloggers, and give a shout out to new up and coming blogs. In my case, it also gives me something fun to think about when I am not feeling well .
When I googled Liebster award, most search entries and blogs stated this: The Liebster award is given to up and coming bloggers who have less than 200 followers. What is a Liebster? The meaning: Liebster is German and means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome.
So here are 11 things you may not have known about me:
1. I cannot whistle. When I say this, people often instruct me on how to do it, but I have been trying since I was in kindergarten. I am pretty sure I just can’t whistle.
2.I have horrible, horrible vision. My contact lenses are -6.0 and -6.75
3. I don’t care for baths–they aren’t that relaxing to me. But I love long showers.
4. I have an awesome job, teaching freshmen comp at my alma mater. As I am lying in bed from this illness, the thought of cancelling class tomorrow makes me sad. I am determined to push through this and teach tomorrow, even if I end class a little early.
5. I used to be a total beer geek. I don’t drink as much anymore so I am a little out of the loop, but I love talking with home brewers and trying out new brews.
6. I cannot get enough cheese. I even try making cheese sometimes, with varying degrees of success.
7. Syringes really freak me out. I once fainted–hard– while having an IV inserted. It was a big ordeal.
8. I drive a black Mini Cooper and I think it suits me better than any other vehicle.
9. If I don’t have anywhere to go, I am wearing pajamas or scrubs around the house. Maybe even just underwear.
10. If I could be anyone else, I’d want to be Lisa Vanderpump.
11. I wish that I could be a morning person.
Now, I am breaking the rules a little bit here by not nominating 11 blogs. I don’t think I know of that many blogs with fewer than 200 followers who haven’t already done this.
Do you remember chain letters/emails when you were young, that had some threat like “if you don’t pass this along, something awful will happen to you at midnight…”? Not filling out this portion reminds me of those, although this clearly does not have some vague threat attached, and It is almost midnight and I AM in bed with a kidney infection, so there’s that.
Moving on. Here are my answers to my nominator’s questions:
- What’s your favorite book to give as a gift? When I gift books, they are usually something that the person has an interest in, so it’s hard to say. If someone wanted me to pick a book that I enjoy as a gift to them, I would give The History of Love by Nicole Krauss.
- What is your favorite song right now and why? I like the new Justin Timberlake single this week because it’s sexy and fun.
- Is there one thing that you can’t live without? My cell phone.
- If you had a chance to go back and do a redo, what would it be? I would take the first years of undergrad more seriously and get better grades.
- What is the greatest lesson you have learned thus far? That I can’t expect someone else to make me happy if I can’t make myself happy.
- Of the people you know, who possess a quality that you most admire and what is it? I admire my boyfriend’s work ethic. He rarely does something half-assed.
- Do you sleep on the right side, left side or smack dab in the middle of your bed? My side of the bed is the right side, but I have been known to sleep diagonally when C is at work.
- What’s your hidden talent? Bargain shopping. I can always find a good deal.
- What’s a topic you wish people would just come out and talk about? Oh my, I have a lot. Today what is on my mind is the way that we focus so much on making people feel good about themselves, but don’t talk about the serious health problems that come with not taking care of your body. I think it’s great that a person could feel good about his/herself at 300 lbs., but there are serious, serious health problems that come with being obese, and we shouldn’t enable or encourage it.
- What is your current obsession? Mint colored things.
- What do you want to accomplish through your blog? To expand my own writing, connect with others, and encourage others to be their most awesome.