I haven’t posted here as often as I’d like because frankly, I don’t know what to use this space for. What could I possibly have to say that could make this blog unique and bring in readers and traffic?
In other words, what, if anything, makes me so unique?
Well, a lot of things, obviously. But one trait of mine, for better or for worse, is that I am an obsessive type of person. I will find something that I like or find interesting and then think about it, research it, try it on for size, tell everyone about it, go to extremes to get it or find more about it, indulge in it daily, wear it out, and possibly even become sick of it within a week. For instance, a couple of weeks ago I began missing my ex-boyfriend’s mother’s Arabic food, so I visited my favorite Lebanese restaurant 2 or 3 times in one week. And I still wasn’t getting enough Zaatar, this spice blend that I was craving. So I drove down to Little Arabia in Anaheim and bought, like, a year’s supply of the spice blend. I ate it for breakfast, lunch and dinner for a couple of days. Then I had my fill of it and moved on to something else. But before I moved on, I had to research it, learn about different ways it is used in Arabic cuisine, try to understand regional differences in the spice blend… Yeah. See? Obsessive. I’m not saying it’s a great, but it’s what I do and I am owning it.
So I am going to be owning my randomness and sharing my obsessions for a while, be they shoes (I can almost guarantee there will be a weekly shoe obsession.) music, an idea, something that irritates me, my favorite meal of the day, a quote, whatever.
Maybe this is my way of pretending that I am Oprah and announcing my “FAVORITE THINGS!” Though I doubt I will bring anyone to tears with my favorite things. (Though you never know…)
So here are some things I am obsessing about this week:
1. I just got home today from several days in New York, which is one of my favorite cities. I love the high energy. I love visiting landmarks, and one in particular: Tiffany’s. Yes, Tiffany’s counts as a landmark. I bought this bracelet:
(Sorry the pic is a little blurry.) Now, I think that this charm bracelet is precious, and it looks great on. Do I need a bracelet? No. I have A LOT of bracelets. If I lived in Northern California, I’d say my bracelet collection is hella big. But alas, I was in Tiffany’s and wanted to buy something, so I figured a bracelet would be good. It’s all customized– the charms are a key, a lock with an “R,” and a shamrock pendant. As I was purchasing it, the salesgirl and I got into a conversation about Real Housewives and I didn’t even pay attention to the grand total. When I looked at my receipt later, I realized that the bracelet cost almost a month’s rent. D’oh! I hate charging things to a credit card. Every time I look at it, I first smile at how pretty it is, the grimace at how much it cost me. I try to justify to myself that it is worth it, I deserve it, and that if each time it makes me smile is worth $1… yeah, I will be wearing this bracelet for a long, long time.
For most of the flight home, I listened to Adele on repeat. Time well spent. It took a lot to keep me from singing along at the top of my lungs. “Chasing Pavements” is currently stuck in my head, and it is lovely.
3. The word “lovely.” I use it often, and perhaps not often enough.
5. Getting a mountain bike. I really want to get in to trail riding, like, yesterday. Once I get the bike, that will be my new obsession. My current obsession is more about how do I get said bike from REI to here, and how do I keep from embarrassing myself in REI? The people there are always really nice, in fact, they are usually really cool. So cool that I too want to look cool, and when I want to look cool, I never do.
6. “Promise me you’ll always remember: You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” –Christopher Robin to Pooh. Yeah I just quoted from Winnie the Pooh. So what. Words of wisdom people, words of wisdom.
7. If I am really going to write about what I am obsessing about, then I have to mention the guy that I have been flirting with through texts for far too long now. He knows I am interested in him; I said so very bluntly (remember what I said about what happens when I want to be cool?). He is flirtatious back, and yet, we are not dating. So yes, I obsess about what the hell is going on there, especially because every time I throw up my hands and say to myself, “That’s it! I am moving on!” he says the right thing at the right time to make me think something could come of this. Grrrr!
8. Sleep. I need it. Bad. I am even considering getting a sleep mask such as this, to see if that helps (or at least makes me feel glamorous while sleeping). I don’t do well without adequate sleep. I don’t just become irritable, I become a total misanthrope. Then I just get emotional and want to cry over everything. So sleep has definitely been something I have been obsessed with this week.
9. Ulysses. Wednesday is Bloom’s Day, and I want to get through as much of Ulysses as possible by then. I am only on the 6th episode, Hades. If you didn’t already know, I love the novel. I wrote my MA thesis on the last episode (Penelope). And it becomes more and more rewarding each time you read it.